Epoxy resin flooring – the coating of choice for Australian homes and industry
Epoxy is one of the most hard-wearing and resistant resins used in coatings, and these qualities mean it is used for a variety of purposes. These qualities also make it a preferred component of flooring systems. An epoxy resin floor coating is a two component system that results in a hard, durable and resistant flooring solution for everything from Sydney Airport to home kitchens. Whether a public, commercial, industrial or residential floor system is needed, epoxy resin floor coating is the flooring of choice across Australian markets.
In this article we will look at the advantages of epoxy resin flooring, the variety of applications, and provide you with a quick guide to applying epoxy floor coating yourself. At the end of this article you will find Australian epoxy flooring specialists in the largest cities and their surroundings.
The applications of epoxy resin floor coating
Epoxy resin floor coatings can be used for three different applications: a primer on concrete to even it out, an undercoat to be covered with a carpet or the like, and a decorative top coat. Epoxy coatings are a stalwart part of the coating industry because epoxy resin has many beneficial properties that make it suitable for many applications – especially floors. Below are several properties that make epoxy resin flooring a coating of choice for almost any floor.
- Seamless finish – The absence of seams makes floors easy to clean and pleasant to walk on, as well as making it suitable for hygienic purposes.
- Abrasion resistant – Parking garages, factory floors and other heavy-duty applications can be realised with epoxy resin floor coating. It is one of the hardest coatings available.
- Chemical resistant – Epoxy resin is one of the most chemical resistant resins available. The coatings can also be modified and made even more resistant by adding a phenolic resin. These are suitable for laboratories and other locations dealing with chemicals.
- Clear epoxy coating – A clear option is available to create 3D flooring and the same clear coatings are also used for creating artworks or topping for bars and tables.
- Attractive – Epoxy resin floor coating comes in a variety of colours and textures. In case the right appearance cannot be achieved with epoxy, the coating can be topped with a polyurethane or another solution.
Even though epoxy resin flooring sounds a perfect solution for any floor, it has a couple of drawbacks: Firstly, the application process is time consuming and less suited for areas that need to avoid downtime than other coatings. Secondly, epoxy is not good with sunlight – exterior applications should be avoided as UV rays cause epoxy to discolour and crack. If you are working with new concrete, you should make sure the surface is completely hardened due to the fact that epoxy lacks flexibility and is likely to crack due to flexing movement.
A quick guide to applying epoxy resin floor paint
For the consumer market there are epoxy paint floor coating products that consist of one component (these are available for example at Bunnings). However, the traditional epoxy resin flooring is a 2K system and this provides a far superior finish to the one component options. Therefore, in this guide we assume you are using a product that requires mixing the A and B component before applying.
You should always start the job by reading the manufacturer’s instructions on surface preparation and mixing the coating. If you have prepared the surface properly with a primer or grinder and mixed the two components according to the instructions, you can start with application.
- Pour the coating mixture onto the floor
- Spread out the coating evenly with a spreader and/or roller (as advised by the manufacturer)
- Make sure you use enough layers to comply with the advised thickness for your project
- Let each layer cure before applying the next one.
Epoxy flooring Australia – A selection of available products
If you are looking to apply the epoxy resin floor coating yourself, you might want to view the below selection of epoxy floor paint suppliers. This overview represents a small selection of the epoxy resin floor coating specialists in Australia; if you want to know more about products and applications, or need a quote for an epoxy flooring cost, get in touch!
|Flowcoat CR||High performance, solvent free, high chemical resistant, epoxy resin coating. Different grades of slip resistance can be achieved by inclusion of graded aggregate between coats.||Charcoal Light Grey Dark Green Light Green Mid Blue Steel Blue Steel Grey Tile Red||Flowcrete Australia Pty Ltd The Flooring Technology Centre Brisbane Office, Unit 2, 41 Deakin Street, Brendale, QLD, 4500|
|Flowcoat SK||High performance resin flooring solution used to service the aviation and aerospace industries owing to its impressive resistance to Skydrol aviation fluid.||Charcoal Light Grey Dark Green Light Green Mid Blue Steel Blue Steel Grey Tile Red||Flowcrete Australia Pty Ltd The Flooring Technology Centre Brisbane Office, Unit 2, 41 Deakin Street, Brendale, QLD, 4500|
Local epoxy resin flooring specialists in Australia
Applying epoxy resin floor coating for larger surface areas is definitely a job for a professional. Therefore, we have compiled several overviews of epoxy flooring paint specialists across Australia – from Sydney to Perth.
- Epoxy floor specialists in Sydney
- Epoxy floor specialists in Perth
- Epoxy floor specialists in Melbourne
- Epoxy floor specialists in Brisbane
For more information on industrial epoxy floor coating solutions and contractors, contact us. Our experts are here to help and to connect you with the manufacturer, supplier, or product your project needs. Getting in touch is easy: simply email us or send us a message via the ‘request a quote’ button on the bottom of this article. Our quote service is 100% free, so let us connect you with your coating needs.