The global coverage of Sherwin Williams paints and coatings
Sherwin-Williams is one of the top 3 coating and paint companies worldwide. It was founded in 1866 when Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams saw an opportunity to revolutionise the industrial economy with paint ingredients – a vision which would see the company open over 4800 stores globally in 150 years. In Australia, Sherwin Williams paints are used to protect and decorate everything from cars to wood decking through their various brands. After purchasing Valspar in 2017, Sherwin Williams is now actively working to increase their Australian and Asian presence. Through this purchase, Sherwin Williams coatings now owns renowned brand Wattyl.
In this article we look at the Sherwin Williams paints Australia has to offer, from OEM automotive to wood coatings, and where to buy Sherwin Williams paints for your project.
Sherwin Williams Australia – the paint brands you know
Sherwin Williams paints in Australia can be divided into wood coatings, protective coatings, decorative coatings, and automotive coatings. The automotive and protective arm of Sherwin Williams is due to their purchase of Coating & Industrial Technologies (CIT) which allows them to produce high quality paint systems in the automotive, anti-graffiti, industrial and architectural industries. Through the Valspar purchase Sherwin Williams operates the Wattyl, Solver, and Granosite, about which more information can be found below.
The Sherwin Williams Australia website (www.coatings.com.au) appears to be down, though here you can find a version of what used to be online. Information regarding Sherwin Williams paint can instead be found below.
Architectural and wood coatings – Wattyl, Solver, Granosite
Wattyl has been and Australian icon for 100 years. The brand ranks second in the country and continues to grow – driven by innovations and advancements in coating technology. Along with Solver and Granosite, these coatings make up the architectural and protective coatings purchased when Sherwin Williams took over Valspar.
Wattyl serves customers with a wide portfolio of products for application in the domestic, commercial and industrial markets, including the respected Solagard and Weathergard ranges for exterior coatings. Solver paints are both interior and exterior finishes for a range of substrates, and Granosite specialises in texture coating systems for interior and exterior facades and walls. Below is a sample of Wattyl range.
- Wattyl Solagard Gloss is a self-priming flexible exterior paint with UV Block Out, blocking out harmful UV rays from the surface. Also inhibits formation of mould and mildew on the surfac
- Wattyl Solagard Low Sheen is a 100% Acrylic exterior paint with UV Block Out. Provides low sheen finish and is breathable – resists blistering by allowing water vapour penetration.
- Wattyl Solagard Masonry Matt is a self-priming, 100 % Acrylic exterior paint blocking out harmful UV rays from the surface. Also inhibits formation of mould and mildew on the surface
- Wattyl Solagard Satin provides a satin finish exterior paint that resists cracking and peeling for durable weather protection
Wattyl Killrust is a high quality preparatory and topcoat paint range that protects metal surface from the hostile Australian weather conditions. This type of metal protection is also referred to as anticorrosion. This article on anticorrosion coating explains further.
Wattyl Killrust application:
- Killrust Cold Galvit | Cold galvanising Primer | 9m2 per litre | 110 microns | 30 mins surface dry
- Killrust Heavy Duty Primer | Primer | 10 – 12m2 per litre | 75 – 100 microns | 2 hours surface dry
- Killrust Epoxy Gloss Enamel | Top coat | 14m2 per litre | 75 microns | 4-6 hours surface dry
Wattyl Decorative Coatings
- Aqua Trim – Wattyl Aqua Trim is a smooth, durable enamel finish for interior and exterior trim and wall paint. Available in gloss and silky satin finishes.
- Wattyl Interior design – Wattyl Interior design is a low VOC system for any interior wall and ceiling. Certified as environmentally preferable by Good Environmental Choice Australia.
Wattyl Wood Stains and Finishes
- Wattyl Decking Range – Wattyl’s wood finishing products feature weather protection agents for all external timber surfaces. This includes oils, stains, paints and varnishes developed and tested to ensure compatibility with Australian climate and the various wood varieties.
Sherwin-Williams industrial and protective coatings
Industrial and protective coatings tend to more hard working and heavy duty than the architectural coating range. Below are a few of the products available from the Sherwin Williams portfolio.
- Repell 2K Water Borne; High performance 2K exterior grade Anti-Graffiti Coating
- Repell 2K Solvent Borne; High performance solvent borne 2K exterior grade Anti-Graffiti Coating.
Sherwin Williams produces two-component, acid catalysing, parquet flooring lacquers and oils. The oils are natural vegetable based and can be applied for the treatment of interior and exterior timber.
Sherwin Williams OEM-Approved Coatings
Below are a few of the automotive coating products made by Sherwin Williams. In Australia, the increase in regulations and legislation designed to improve environmental impact of various operations has led to many companies making the move to water-based coating systems. Sherwin Williams specialises in coatings with no formaldehyde and low VOCs with no compromise to appearance.
- Primer Systems:
Omega Primer – ‘Extremely high performance’ 2K modified primer.
070 ‘Pi’ Series P/P Primer (Atpro) – ‘OE approved’ modified primer
Prope Kote Primer – ‘OE approved’ CPO primer
- 1K Colour Coat Systems:
Alpha Base – specially formulated 1K system for a variety of plastic substrates.
Beta Base System – 1k Thermoplastic
FRB Series – Normally applied as 1K system, can be cross-linked to increase the chemical resistance and general performance
- Solvent-based Top coats:
Gamma Base Brushable – 2K Chemical Resistant Commercial Coating System
Delta Base – high performance 2K product specially formulated for application onto plastic substrates
Deck Tech – specially formulated, UV stable 2K high-tech slip-resistant coating for various applications, including Industrial and Marine and Work safe environments
- 2K Colour Coat Systems:
Gamma Base – ‘Highest performance’ 2K System developed for OE interiors.
Delta Base – specifically formulated 2K coating for application onto chrome plated plastics without primer
Sigma Base – 2K ‘Extremely high performance’ system developed specifically for hard to adhere to substrates
- Clear Coat Systems:
Krystal Clear Coat – CSIRO tested exterior clear coat
Nuclear Series – modified 2K PU Clear Coats
- Waterborne coatings:
EA1503 | Lacroma Clear Gloss | Lacquer
ED1225 | Laqva Prime | Pigmented undercoat
EF4502 | White Primer | Primer
EG1351 | Laqva Top | One component pigmented topcoat
EH4120 | Pigmented Topcoat | Two component pigmented topcoat
EL4230 | Clear Sealer | Two component sealer
EM1167 | Lacroma Clear | One component lacquer
EM1503 | Lacroma Clear with UV Prohibitor | Waterborne clear lacquer
EM4530 | Clear Multicoat | Two component transparent coating
Sherwin Williams specialises in the production of advanced coating systems and in Australia the company has extensive experience in the automotive industry with the well-known car companies found in the table below.
|Automotive Company with Sherwin Williams Coating||Specifications|
|General Motors (Australia GMHA)||
|General Motors (World Performance Specifications)||
Sherwin Williams paint stockists in Australia
Fortunately for Australian consumers, Sherwin-Williams owned products such as Wattyl and Solver are available in most Bunnings, Mitre 10, and Home Timber and Hardware stores across the country, from Perth to Sydney. For coatings in the OEM automative range, most companies form partnerships with an OEM product provider, but there are automotive refinish coatings from brands such as the House of Kolor that are available in refinish shops around the country.
If you need more information about Sherwin Williams Australia and their brands, or have a project that requires Sherwin Williams automotive or architectural coatings, get in touch! Our experts are here to help. In collaboration with our coating partners, we will connect you with the coating solution for your needs. Our quote service is 100% free, simply use the button below this article to let us know a little about your project to get the ball rolling.